To realise the developed India by 2020

Monday, August 17, 2009

[India_Vision_2020] [DR. KALAM NEWS] Abdul Kalam touch to former driver’s teaching aspiration

 

 
V Kathiresan, former driver of Abdul Kalam at the Arignar Anna Government's Arts College in Athur, Tamil Nadu, where he now works as lecturer in Histo
Abdul Kalam touch to former driver's teaching aspiration
Attur (TN),August 17, PTI

Over two decades ago he was a driver to A P J Abdul Kalam. Now, he is a lecturer in a college here, thanks to the inspirational pep-talk he used to get from the former President.

Kathiresan, 47, joined as lecturer in Arignar Anna Government Arts College on August 6 after completing his PhD in History from Manonmaniam Sundaranar University,Tirunelveli.
After the inspirational words from Kalam, Kathiresan sat for the 10th Board Exams which he had given up due to family problems. Kalam motivated Kathiresan to continue his studies when the latter was his driver at the Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) in Hyderabad in the late 1980s.

Mentor's path


Even after Kalam left Hyderabad for Delhi, Kathiresan continued on the path shown by his mentor.

"I worked as a driver for 'ayya' (Sir) for five and a half years. He is a very nice person, who is primarily responsible for the position I am in today," Kathiresan said.
Not only him, Kalam used to give pep-talk to the employees at the DRDL asking them to go extra mile to achieve their dreams.

"I always had the urge to resume my studies which I was forced to discontinue after my father's death. But ayya's words gave wings to my dreams. Then I continued with my studies," the history lecturer said.

Kathiresan, who was forced to join the Army in 1979 after the death of his father Vellaisamy Thevar, was trained as an electrical mechanic in Bhopal before he was posted as driver to Kalam at the DRDL.

After finishing his tenth board exams, Kathiresan went on to finish his higher secondary, BA (history) and MA (history) from Madurai Kamaraj University. He left the job in 1996 to pursue higher studies after which he joined the chief education officer's office in Tirunelveli as a supervisor. He also did his MA (political science) and PhD in history from Tirunelveli.

Praises galore

Heaping praise on his former boss, Kathiresan said Kalam sent a reply to his letter after assuming office as President. "I was touched when I got a reply from 'ayya' to my letter. I sent the letter to inform him that I have quit DRDL and joined the CEO's office. By then he had become the President of India. I still have the letter with me," Kathiresan, whose son studies in 11th standard, said.

Reminiscing the days when he studied during the night after finishing his duty, Kathiresan said his wife took care of the family when he resumed his studies. "Since my father owned some land, my wife was able to run the family without expecting money from me. I spent all the money I got as salary on my studies," he recalled.
 
 

__._,_.___
Please visit the website http://www.indiavision2020.org to read inspiring articles of eminent personalities
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Y! Messenger

Want a quick chat?

Chat over IM with

group members.

Support Army!

Troops' Children

Need Your Help

Fund Learning

.

__,_._,___
Share:

0 comments:

Latest Messages

Blog Archive

India Vision Team


Publisher and Patron
K. Srinivasan,
Team:
Shivanarayan Pasupathy
Jayatheerthan
Balamurugan
Subha Ganesh
Contact
prpoint@gmail.com

India Vision website and ezine

India Vision website offers lot of information about the various aspects of Vision 2020. Please download the ezines and podcasts on this theme. Please visit http://www.indiavision2020.org

India Vision Group



India Vision 2020 is the largest Indian group for youth to discuss the strategies for realising the devleoped India by 2020. This Blog carries the feed from the India Vision discussion group. Please join the group by clicking
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/India_Vision_2020/

Blog Archive